Thursday, 29 August 2013

This is Me

Although I am largely a self-taught jewellery designer, I do believe that there are no boundaries between design disciplines and that in fact it’s just a matter of learning the right skills to bring an idea to life.
My training in Interior Architecture has furnished me with a knowledge of the aesthetic as well as structure and has therefore given me the design foundation on which to expand my own knowledge and skills into other areas of design. I have always liked making things and about 12 years ago I decided to learn the basics of silversmithing through Edinburgh College of Art. It was a good experience and for a while I sold pieces through a gallery on the west coast of Scotland. That was successful, but I realised that with changing tastes and trends that handmade silver jewellery is not always within someone’s price range and on top of that most high street fashion chains offer some kind of costume jewellery these days which is difficult to compete with. So, with that in mind I began to develop my skills further with a view to making affordable jewellery pieces that are a bit different from what you find in the major high street stores.
I now create jewellery from proprietary components, found objects, watch parts, recycled jewellery, polymer clay, paper and fabric. I make my own beads and mix them with new and recycled beads and always make my own focal beads and feature components. This makes each piece unique and sets it apart from the mass produced items found in the shops today.
It is my intention to expand this further to include some of my art as wearable pieces and some themed ranges which are currently in the early stages of conception. I don’t want to give too much away just yet, though……
Dragonfly Sun believes in recycling packaging. So, wherever possible orders are sent out in previously used mail packets. Currently all items are not boxed as we believe in reducing packaging, but they will be wrapped up neatly in nice paper and with love!

No comments:

Post a Comment